Does rice really work against water damage?
Are you someone who always takes their smartphone with them to the toilet? There’s always a chance you’ll drop it into the toilet by accident. If this has happened to you, you’ll want to save your precious phone as quickly as possible, of course. Have you ever heard of the trick of putting your wet phone in some dry rice over night?
Is this a fact or is it a fable?
True or false?
We wondered about this, so we did some research. It turns out that this trick really does work! The rice can save the life of your smartphone because the dry rice absorbs the water from your phone. It’s important to put your phone into a bowl or bag of rice for at least 48 hours. Also make sure you take out the battery and the SIM card. You can leave these to dry on an absorbing cloth.
Here are some extra tips on how to minimise the water damage in your phone:
- Immediately turn off the device and take out the SIM card, battery and memory cards. Try drying all of this with an absorbing cloth.
- Try to shake or move around your phone as little as possible. This is to prevent the water in your phone from spreading through the rest of the device.
- Never use a blowdryer to dry your phone. The warm air is bad for the device and you’ll blow the moisture into other parts of the phone. That will only damage it more.
- Instead, you could use a vacuum cleaner to suck the moisture out of the device. Do keep a bit of distance between the vacuum and the phone, because the vacuum can cause static electricity.
- After doing all of this, put your phone into the dry rice for at least 48 hours. When the 48 hours have passed, carefully put your phone back together. Fingers crossed it will work again!
Read more: Want to clean your smartphone? Avoid making THIS common mistake!
Want to keep this article for later? Pin it on Pinterest!
Bron: KPN | Beeld: videostill, 5-Minute Crafts