Does the stuff around your house make you feel restless?
Your home is the perfect place to unwind and somewhere you can be completely yourself. That’s why it’s very important that your home interior makes you feel calm and not stressed or agitated. Does your house not feel like a home and does it instead make you feel stressed? That might be caused by the stuff you surround yourself with. Research has shown that the things in the list below can influence your mood and even make you feel unhappy.
- Children’s toys: If you have children you can’t avoid having toys around the house. But surfaces that are covered in Barbie dolls, drawings and colouring pencils make for a messy house and this can make you feel very restless. Make sure your children put away their toys at the end of the day. Not buying as many toys might also help; they probably don’t even use half of their stuff.
- Gifts or heirlooms: Of course, your aunt gave you that horrendous tea set with the best intentions, but that doesn’t mean you have to like it. We often feel obligated to place heirlooms or gifts around the house. But if it doesn’t make you happy, isn’t that actually a bit of a waste? So, just throw these things in the bin or, if you don’t want to do that, put them out of sight in the attic.
- Childhood memories: You don’t have to throw out your favourite doll or stuffed animal, of course; it has way too much sentimental value. But it might not really need such a prominent place on the mantelpiece. Put it away in a box so you can look at it certain moments when you feel like it.
- Collections: Does your old vinyl records collection still have a special place in your home, but have you stopped collecting them ages ago? Put them in the attic or get rid of them. Perhaps you can make someone else very happy with them, or make some money off of them.
- Curtains: Those big, taupe-coloured curtains might have seemed like a good idea at first, but now they’re just darkening up your living room. Plus, they attract a lot of dust. Every time you look at them, you think of it. It’s best to buy curtains in a light colour, since this will liven up your home instead of make it look darker
- Lack of house plants: To make your house a real home you need green – lots of green! You don’t need to turn your living room into a jungle, but a nice green plant can work wonders for the atmosphere in your home.
- Lighting: The wrong type of lighting can make your house feel cheerless and cold. Ceiling lights aren’t meant to be pretty; they’re purely practical. That’s why should leave those turned off when you’ve got a cosy night in on the couch, and invest in some nice mood lighting. It’ll make all the difference!
Want to save this article for later? Pin it on Pinterest!
Source: Libelle | Image as illustration