What should you do if you’ve been stung by a jellyfish? We’ve got the answer!

The first thing you have to do when you’ve been stung by a jellyfish is swim away as quickly as possible from the ‘crime scene’. Get out of the water and immediately do the following things:

  1. Rinse the spot that’s been stung using sea water. Don’t use fresh water for this: fresh water will activate the remnants of the particles that inject the venom (nematocysts), which means even more venom gets injected.
  2. Remove any remnants of the tentacles that might still be attached to you or in you. Wear a glove when you do this and use tweezers.
  3. Carefully clean the affected spot with vinegar and soak it in vinegar for 15 to 30 minutes afterwards.
  4. Shave the affected skin to make sure all of the nematocysts are removed. Do rub some shaving foam on the spot beforehand!

However, if you experience any of the following symptoms, you should call your doctor:

  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Headache
  • Dizziness/vertigo
  • Breathing problems
  • Confusion
  • Fainting/unconsciousness
  • Fever
  • Muscle cramps
  • Paralysis
  • Cardiac arythmia

Read more: Look closely at the sea during this storm. It scared the living daylights out of this camera man! Very impressive!

Want to save this article for later? Pin it on Pinterest!

Source: Dokter Dokter | Image: Wikimedia Commons, Ecomare/Sytske Dijksen