What should you do if you’ve been stung by a jellyfish? We’ve got the answer!


This is what you should do if you’ve been stung by a jellyfish

With the tropical weather we’ve been experiencing lately it’s a pretty good idea to go and cool down at the seaside. We love swimming in the sea, but unfortunately we aren’t the only ones who do: the sea is also home to jellyfish. So, what should you do if one of those weird buggers stings you?

We’ve got the answers to your jellyfish questions.

Pain and itching

You’re just swimming along, having a great time, minding your own business, and then you suddenly feel a burning pain. Yikes! Chances are you’ve been stung by a jellyfish. There are thousands of different types of jellyfish and many of them have the ability to sting you and leave you in pain or with a terrible itch. If you come into contact with a more dangerous jellyfish, you can even experience more serious symptoms.

Venom

Jellyfish have tentacles that have venom in them. This venom is originally meant to stun or kill prey. Luckily, the venom doesn’t always have this same effect on humans, but it can cause a toxic inflammatory response. This inflammation often comes with pain, itching and redness. Usually, the stung part of the body is the only part that gets inflamed. However, if you’ve been stung in multiple places you might also experience symptoms like a headache, breathing problems, vomiting and in very serious cases even shock.

Have you been stung by a jellyfish? Follow the steps on the next page!

Page 1 of 2