You’ll never throw away a simple cork again!
Sometimes you just want to know which way is north; for example, to know which direction the wind is coming from. At camp sites, too, it can be good to know, and you don’t always have your phone with you there. Luckily, you can very easily make your own compass from a simple cork! It’s super handy!
Give it a try!
What do you need?
- Permanent marker
- Small magnet
- Bowl of water
How does it work?
- Use a knife to remove 1 centimeter off the bottom of the cork.
- Mark the four points of the compass on the flat sides of the cork and put it to the side.
- Rub the needle over the magnet. This will cause the needle to become magnetic.
- Pierce the cork with the needle on the north side. You can use the pliers to help with this.
- Carefully put the cork in a bowl of water and you’ll see the point will keep pointing north!
Want to see how it works? Watch the video below!
Want to save this article for later? Pin it on Pinterest!