They might look lovely and cosy, but candles aren’t always good for your health
Light a couple of candles or tea lights and you immediately add some ambiance and warmth to a room. The flickering light looks so cosy, but unfortunately, some candles can be pretty harmful to you and your health.
As soon as you light a candle, an unhealthy substance can be released.
A lot of homes sport at least a couple of candles on a coffee table or end table here and there. They’re popular decorative items and they can spruce up any room and make it look warm and cosy. Yet it’s not always a good idea to burn candles. Most of them are made of paraffin, which in turn is made of petroleum. As soon as you light paraffin-based candles, chemicals like benzene can be released. These substances can have an irritating effect on your airways.
Wick of a candle
Unfortunately, paraffin isn’t the only issue. The wick of a candle can contain lead. In some countries, it’s illegal to sell candles that have leaden wicks, but this isn’t the case everywhere. Are you on holiday and do you spot a nice candle? Check whether the wick is lead-free.
Go to the next page to read about alternatives!
Page 1 of 2