The first part of this method is doing a scan of the body. You’ll relax all the muscles in your body one at a time.
- First, relax the muscles in your face: your forehead, around your eyes, your jaw, and your tongue. Next, release your shoulders and let the muscles relax.
- Bring your attention to your right arm, relax the muscles in your upper arm, lower arm, and hand. Repeat with your left arm.
- Breathe in deeply and let your chest relax.
- Now relax the muscles in both your legs. Go from top to bottom; first relax your thighs, then your knees, your shins, and finally, your feet.
Now that all your muscles are relaxed, it’s time for a show, or, a visualization rather. Close your eyes and imagine one of the following situations. Choose whichever one sticks out to you the most:
- You’re lying in a black hammock in a room that is pitched black.
- You’re lying on your back in a canoe, floating on the water. The water is calm and the sky above you is bright blue. There isn’t a cloud to be seen.
- For ten seconds, repeat the words “don’t think, don’t think, don’t think” in your head.
If this doesn’t work right away, don’t give up. It can take up to six weeks to master this trick and it’ll get progressively easier. So keep going! You can also experiment with other calming visualizations. Pretend you’re in a green meadow on a sunny day, or on a quiet beach while the waves softly meet the land. Goodnight!
Source: Libelle | Image: Pexels, Ketut Subiyanto